Mom appears a little perplexed these days. A week ago, she accidentally used salt rather than sugar in her legendary peanut butter cookie recipe. She called the dog by my brother’s name. And she mislaid her handbag, to discover it in the medicine cabinet. Is it feasible she’s developing Alzheimer’s disease or some other sort of dementia?
While there are a variety of other potential reasons for dementia-like indicators and symptoms like these – medication side effects or depression, for instance – these types of warnings help doctors evaluate if dementia is the culprit:
- Mental functioning loss – determined by speaking with both the individual and people closest to her, together with cognitive testing.
- Changes in previously mastered abilities – comparing abilities that were very easily executed up until recently against current problems.
- Troubles with duties of daily life – evaluated through concerns conveyed by close family.
- Other physical conditions – examining underlying situations which could bring on delirium, (which imitates dementia) , such as bacterial infections, thyroid problems, electrolyte imbalances, and more.
- Mental history – a complete review of mental issues that can come into play, like depression or schizophrenia.
In case your mature family member has been identified as having dementia, speak to Live Free Home Health Care. Our thoughtful, experienced dementia care team is prepared to assist with Alzheimer’s care New Hampton, NH seniors need and deserve.