“I’m going to force myself to run three miles every day.”
“I’m going to clean the bathrooms more regularly.”
“I’m going to eat more celery and less chocolate.”
Do your New Year’s resolutions feel more like punishment than positivity? If that’s the case, resolve to make 2024 the year you set some goals you’ll look forward to keeping! If you need a little inspiration to get started, consider the following:
The Best Resolutions for Caregivers
- Strive to discover the bright side. There are difficulties and challenges with caring for an older loved one. However, there are also plenty of positives to focus on instead. Rather than fret about the inclement weather that changed your plans, settle in to watch some home movies and reminisce over a cup of comforting cocoa.
- Care for yourself. You spend so much time taking care of others. Set aside time each day to do something kind, just for you. This could be as simple as a bubble bath before bed, a quick run to your favorite coffee shop, or designated time each day to curl up under a cozy quilt and read.
- Pay attention to your inner dialogue. Nip any self-directed words of negativity in the bud. If you realize you are silently berating yourself for losing your patience, stop and remind yourself that you are a loving, selfless, and devoted family caregiver for the person you love. Because of you, they can continue living at home and enjoy the best possible quality of life. Think about how you would encourage a friend in your shoes, and turn that encouragement inward.
- Let go of the things you cannot control. So much of the time we spend worrying is the result of things that are outside of our control. Give yourself permission to step back and remind yourself that you are human, and there will be situations you can’t resolve and problems you can’t fix.
- Accept help. Let this be the year that you realize caring for someone you love is a job that’s more effective when shared. Let loved ones and close friends know that you would like some support, and allow them to step in to help with laundry, meals, housework, running errands—whatever would alleviate stress and allow you to achieve a healthier life balance.
At Live Free Home Health Care, we’re here to help make these and any other New Year’s resolutions a reality! Our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in a wide variety of care needs, and can partner with you to:
- Offer friendly companionship for an older loved one, including engaging conversations, puzzles, games, exercise, hobbies, and more
- Help with light housekeeping, laundry, changing bed linens, etc.
- Plan and prepare healthy, delicious meals
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to procedures and medical appointments or fun outings
- Pick up groceries and run any other errands as needed
- And so much more
From the Live Free Home Health Care family to yours, Happy Holidays and all the best in the new year!