As the saying goes, “What happens at Grandma’s stays at Grandma’s!” Being a grandparent could very well be one of life’s greatest joys – the chance to experience once more the satisfaction of spending quality time with the children in your life; only this time around, they’re your children’s children, and so the relationships are that much sweeter.
Grandparents Day is September 13 and it is a perfect time to celebrate the role of grandparents in our life and to reflect on the benefits of forging strong bonds for both grandchildren and grandparents. As an example:
Positive Benefits for Grandkids:
- A source of wisdom, friendship, mentoring, and influence.
- Increased cohesiveness for the family and emotional support.
- A link with family heritage and legacy.
- Both physical and emotional support.
Positive Benefits for Grandparents:
- Enhanced mental wellbeing and socialization, including lower rates of depression.
- A more active lifestyle.
- The opportunity to share moral guidance and values.
- The rewarding sense of knowing they are making an impact in the lives of their family, and to be wanted and needed.
A current AARP report shares some interesting facts surrounding the grandparent-grandchild relationship:
- By the age of 65, an astounding 96% of individuals are grandparents. And with our population of seniors exploding with growth, by the year 2030, 20% of all Americans will be 65 or older.
- Grandparents have on average 4 to 5 grandchildren.
- Nearly three-quarters of all 8-year-olds in the U.S. will likely have a living great-grandparent by the year 2030.
- 10% of grandparents live with their grandchildren, and 5% are primary caregivers.
There are, nonetheless, a few obstacles for grandparents to experience close relationships with their grandchildren, the most significant being geographic distance. More than half of all grandparents are more than 200 miles away from one or more of their grandchildren. And quite a few seniors are choosing to continue to work later in life, leaving a reduced amount of time available for family.
To conquer these obstacles, seniors are turning more and more to technology – something that has become particularly important during the COVID-19 pandemic, when self-quarantining was crucial for seniors. Because of this, FaceTime, Skype, and Zoom have grown to be household terms, helping strengthen bonds even when in-person time together isn’t an option.
If you’d like to look into recommendations for enhancing a grandparent/grandchild relationship, let Live Free Home Health Care, one of the top-rated home care agencies in Bristol, help! Our creative caregiving team can provide safe, accompanied transportation for family visits (no matter the distance!), prepare nutritious meals, and care for housekeeping chores to enable seniors to dedicate quality time to their grandchildren, and so much more.
Contact us online or give us a call any time at 603-217-0149 to discover how an in-home caregiver from Live Free Home Health Care can help older adults live the best possible life. If you’re looking for trusted in-home care, contact Live Free Home Health Care, one of the top-rated home care agencies in Bristol and the surrounding areas, and ask about a free assessment, in the comfort of home, today!