Following a medical procedure or hospitalization, the words we look forward to hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you’re free to return home now!” What a sense of relief there is in coming through the front door, sinking into a favorite chair, and relaxing.
Yet there are often a number of tasks necessary for proper healing and recovery and to prevent a re-hospitalization. For older adults who live alone, and even for individuals with family support, it can be challenging to go through all the post-hospitalization recommendations, pick up prescriptions, make follow-up appointments, adjust to any needed dietary or lifestyle changes, and much more.
This is when an expert home care agency, like Live Free Home Health Care, providers of top-rated senior care services in Concord, NH is invaluable. Our transitional home health care services can start even prior to discharge to make sure each significant detail will be looked after. Working with the hospital’s care team, we are able to formulate and put into action a recovery plan to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, in conjunction with any allergies and/or dietary restrictions
- Ensuring the pantry and fridge are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any necessary medical equipment to be delivered to the home
- Outlining any potential side effects and medical issues
After discharge, we are able to:
- Provide safe transportation home from the hospital (and to any follow-up medical appointments or procedures)
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they are taken exactly as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, utilizing the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, card games, puzzles, along with other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Take care of light household chores and laundry
- Provide support with walking to prevent falls
- Connect your loved one with other local helpful resources
- And a whole lot more
With the aid of the highly skilled and caring care staff at Live Free Home Health Care, senior loved ones are able to reduce the worry that naturally comes with a hospitalization and concentrate on getting the rest necessary to recover. Not just that, but our services allow seniors to avoid a stay in a rehab facility so they can recover where they’re most comfortable: at home.
If a senior you love is facing a planned surgery, call us. We’ll be happy to come visit the senior in the home and begin to formulate a plan to ensure a smooth transition home again. We can also perform a home safety assessment and provide ideas for any changes necessary to prevent falls – a frequent and unsafe occurrence after a hospitalization.
Connect with Live Free Home Health Care for expert senior care services in Concord, NH and the surrounding communities any time at 603-217-0149. We’re here for you, before, during, and after a hospital stay.