The holiday season is finally here! Friends and families gather together from far and wide to reminisce, celebrate, and share in the feelings of love and joy that make this time of year so special. And naturally, what would the holiday season be without all of those festive decorations to enliven our home environment and rekindle memories of precious holidays from the past?
As enjoyable as it is to dive into decorating, the following holiday tips for seniors are crucial to keep in the front of your mind to be sure the season remains free of potential hazards:
- Bypass fires. Though chestnuts roasting on an open fire are certainly splendid in a song, candles and fireplaces are primary contributing factors to holiday fires. Battery-powered candles are a much safer alternate to provide a warm ambiance.
- Think artificial. If the older person would enjoy a tree to decorate, a safe and low-maintenance choice is an artificial tree instead of a live one. And take special care with holiday ornaments. Although older decorations are truly a treasure, most of them are made from delicate glass. One solution to keep both your senior loved one and his or her ornaments safe is to carefully pull out and enjoy viewing and sharing stories about the more fragile ornaments, but then display only shatter-proof decorations on the tree itself.
- Cut the risk of electrical mishaps. Meticulously check strands of lighting and other decorations that need electricity, as well as extension cords, to ensure they’re free of wear and tear or fraying. Updated guidelines for holiday lights were developed in 2015 by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to include over-current protection, a minimum wire size, and other criteria, so it’s a good idea to replace any older electric decorations with new, safer ones. And, make certain to unplug all lights and decorations when they’re unsupervised, including when leaving the home or going to bed.
Another great way to make sure seniors stay safe and completely enjoy the holiday season is by working with a skilled home care agency, such as Live Free Home Health Care. We provide families with the opportunity to step away from the hustle and bustle and engage in quality time together, by aiding with a variety of senior care needs, such as:
- Light housecleaning and laundry
- Planning and preparing meals
- Personal care needs, such as bathing/showering, dressing, hair care, etc.
- Transportation to fun events, visits with friends and family, medical appointments, etc.
- Pleasant companionship to engage in favorite activities and pastimes together
- And so much more
Our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in providing the New Hampshire home care services that improve quality of life for older individuals, right where they feel most comfortable: at home. Contact us at 603-217-0149 for more holiday tips for seniors, or to schedule a complimentary in-home consultation to find out how our personalized senior care can help your loved one.