We can all relate to feeling overwhelmed by the whirlwind of necessary tasks that need to be taken care of during the holiday season: all of the shopping and wrapping gifts, writing and sending, planning and decorating, visiting and baking. But amid the hustle and bustle, it’s also easy to forget about the necessity of slowing down enough to enjoy the companionship of our elder loved ones. With a little inventive thinking, holiday celebrations can be altered to involve family activities for young and old, and everyone in between.
Live Free Home Health Care’s New Hampshire home care team has put together the following suggestions of holiday activities for seniors that can help family members of all ages engage in the fun with one another:
- Design simple holiday decorations together, such as orange/clove pomades, paper chains or snowflakes, hand crafted ornaments, etc.
- Gather together to sing favorite holiday songs, and reminisce over memories these songs evoke.
- Bake cookies, pies, or other favorite holiday treats, in particular those the older person has made over the years, allowing him or her to pass the tradition on to the younger generation.
- Write out holiday cards and wrap gifts as a family, allowing younger children and older adults who may struggle with these tasks to stick on name tags, stickers, bows, etc.
- Spend a few hours watching classic holiday movies.
- Go out together to take in a holiday play or musical at the local school or community center.
- Get together for a game night with a holiday twist, such as holiday charades or name that holiday tune, or with classic board or card games that the older adult may have played while growing up.
- Agree as a family on a charitable cause that has meaning to you, and work together to make a difference, such as by collecting warm coats for those in need, or baking homemade dog treats for the local animal shelter.
- Take a drive to view holiday lights, or take a leisurely stroll through the mall and enjoy the holiday ambiance.
- Create a “remember when…” video or journal, with the senior sharing some memories of past holidays while the younger ones write down their experiences, draw accompanying pictures, and ask questions to learn more.
For additional recommendations on holiday activities for seniors, contact the in-home care professionals at Live Free Home Health Care. We’re also on hand to help make the holidays brighter and safer for seniors, and to lower stress for family members, through customized home care services such as:
- Transportation and accompaniment for holiday functions and outings
- Assistance with cleaning and organizing the home
- Errand-running to pick up groceries, gifts, or any other needed items
- Holiday decorating help
- Companionship to engage in conversations, reminiscing, arts and crafts, exercising, and more
You can reach our New Hampshire home care professionals at your convenience at 603-217-0149 to discover more about our senior care services, to request resources related to your senior loved one’s needs, or to set up a free in-home consultation. From all of us at Live Free Home Health Care, we wish you and your family the happiest of holidays!