Selecting a private duty care provider can be a scary prospect. After all, you are entrusting the care of your loved ones to someone that is, for all intents and purposes, a stranger. It almost goes without saying that you want a care provider you feel you can trust. When choosing a private duty care provider, it is important to investigate a few key questions:
- What level of home care is required? Is just a companion/homemaker sufficient, is personal care such as bathing and grooming required, or is skilled nursing care also needed? You’ll want to be sure to select an agency with offerings that match your needs.
- What type of agency is the provider? Do they employ their staff (which is preferred) or do they use independent contractors (which pose risks and added responsibilities)? Is the agency licensed? Does the agency accept Medicare and/or Medicaid?
- What are the procedures used for hiring in-home care staff? Do they perform criminal background checks, credential and reference checking, competency testing, and have orientation procedures set in place?
- What are the care management practices of the home care agency? Do they perform initial and ongoing patient assessments, do they communicate regularly with family and medical providers, and do they have ongoing staff training and scheduling procedures?
- What is the background and training of the care managers? Is the care manager a nurse and how often are supervisors available if needed?
At Live Free Home Health Care, we believe that in order to support a successful care transition and viable long-term care solution, care in the home requires the services of knowledgeable, competent professionals who must have a good understanding of a person’s prognosis, and are trained to detect changes in a client’s physical, cognitive, or mental condition. We think you’ll find that the Live Free Home Health Care difference really does “make all the difference” in care for your loved ones in the Concord and Central New Hampshire area and Lakes region. To find out more about what sets Live Free Home Health Care apart, click here.