In a society constantly on the go, it isn’t a stretch to start thinking of stress as a normal part of everyday living. This is especially so if you are a full-time family caregiver. However, the effects of long term exposure to stress can wreak havoc on a person’s mind and body. It is important to recognize if you are in danger of experiencing caregiver burn-out and seek outside help if needed. Take a look at some of the questions below to help determine if caregiver burn-out may be in your future:
- Have you given up favorite activities or hobbies?
- Are you developing back pain, headaches, daily fatigue, and/or depression?
- Are you getting sick more than usual?
- Is your temper shorter than normal in public or with friends and family?
- Do you lash out at your loved one when he or she behaves erratically or becomes difficult?
- Are your other emotions more touchy than usual? Are you experiencing despair or crying for little or no reason?
- Have you gained or lost weight unintentionally?
- Do you suffer from lack of sleep or chronic insomnia?
If you answered yes to several of the above questions, you may be in danger of caregiver burn-out and it is time to seek help. Contact Live Free Home Health Care in Concord for respite care and community resources that can help you take a break from caregiving responsibilities. At the same time, you can experience peace of mind knowing that your family member is being well cared for. This allows for a more healthy family relationship and necessary time for you to focus on some of your personal needs.
For further home care solutions for family caregivers, click here.