Living through more than a year of a global pandemic taught us never to take for granted the small but extremely important things in life: shared laughter, hugging our friends and family, a dinner date in our favorite café. We discovered firsthand how much socialization is to be valued, and how empty and lost we can feel when it is taken away.
July is Social Wellness Month, and now that vaccinations are eliminating our need to isolate ourselves, it’s an ideal chance to prioritize social wellness for seniors and ensure they have abundant opportunities for socialization.
Benefits of Social Wellness for Seniors
Researchers have found that people who stay social:
- Live longer
- Respond far better to stress
- Have healthier endocrine and cardiovascular systems
- Have a stronger immunity
- And more
Conversely, those who live a more isolated and secluded lifestyle are at heightened risk for serious health issues – comparable to the consequences linked to obesity, cigarette smoking, and hypertension.
Simple Tips to Improve Social Wellness for Seniors
If an older adult you love is now accustomed to isolated living and is not sure how to enhance socialization, these strategies can help:
- Think of current hobbies and interests, or those the older adult may wish to learn more about. Maybe there’s always been a wish to learn to play the piano, speak French, or plant a flower garden. No matter what the interest, look into local opportunities for a class or group for the senior to join to learn a new skill or share an existing one with other people.
- Gain the dual benefit of health and fitness through joining a gym or exercise group. There are a number of exercise classes specifically designed for seniors, allowing for a low-impact workout combined with the chance to form friendships. Just talk with the physician for approval first.
- Find an organization or cause that your senior loved one is especially passionate about, and find out what their volunteer needs are. Seniors can find purpose and meaning along with socialization opportunities while assisting others in need.
How Live Free Home Health Care Can Help
An in-home caregiving companion, like those on the Live Free Home Health Care team, is a quick and easy way to boost senior socialization. Our caregivers are fully trained, experienced, background-checked, and available for as much or as little time as an older adult would like for conversations, fun activities, outings, and more. We can provide transportation and accompaniment to social activities for seniors, or just visit with the senior in the home on a consistent basis.
Contact our senior care experts any time and learn why we are one of the top-rated senior care companies in Concord, NH and nearby communities. We’d love to share more about how we can help a senior in your life stay healthy, social and well. We provide a complimentary in-home consultation at your convenience, so call us today at 603-217-0149.