Isolation. Fear. Loneliness. The pandemic has wreaked havoc on all of us in one way or another, but for the elderly in particular, the seclusion necessary to ensure safety from COVID-19 has had adverse effects on mental, physical and emotional wellbeing. A reliable home care provider like Live Free Home Health Care, one of the top senior care companies in Concord and the surrounding areas, is here to help reduce loneliness in the elderly while preserving the social connections that are so vital to their health.
- Safe socialization. While we’ve become familiar with the phrase “social distancing,” it’s not the socialization itself we need to distance ourselves from, of course, but only the physical proximity to others. Staying socially connected throughout the pandemic might not look exactly like we’d like without physical touch, but there are many ways an in-home caregiver can help encourage seniors to still be near to those they love. Whether an older adult favors old-fashioned phone calls and letter writing, or perhaps is open to making use of social media or technology for virtual face-to-face conversations, we are able to help older adults frequently get in touch with others.
- Optimizing time with trusted companions. For seniors who live alone, spending quality time with an in-home caregiver can help immensely with alleviating feelings of isolation. We take time to play board games, bake, have conversations, do arts and crafts together, maybe even take an online course together to learn a new language or other skill.
- Limiting exposure to the news. While it is necessary to stay up to date around the latest details on the pandemic along with other news items of concern, a great deal of time spent watching or reading the news is bound to raise an older adult’s stress and anxiety levels. Our care providers encourage seniors to create realistic goals relating to news intake: perhaps one half-hour news program in the morning, and another at dinnertime, and fill the remainder of the day with positive TV shows, reading materials, along with other engaging activities.
- Practicing positivity. Considering all of the “what ifs” can be overwhelming. We help seniors shift their thinking to a more positive mindset and internal dialogue through mindfulness, prayer, gratitude, guided yoga or meditation, and even through motivation to talk with a particular friend or family member who has a way of always looking on the bright side.
- Enjoying nature. Being outdoors in and of itself eliminates stress and anxiety; our caregivers safely help older adults enjoy walks and other forms of physical exercise for an added calming effect. We are also careful to strictly follow safety guidelines – staying apart from others, wearing a face covering, etc.
- Helping someone else. There is no better remedy to feeling down than helping somebody else up. Even while remaining at home, there are plenty of ways seniors can impact the lives of others. Together, we can brainstorm ideas related to an older adult’s particular passions and interests; for example, writing and mailing cards of encouragement to nursing home residents, putting together care packages for the disabled or homeless veterans, making baby blankets for an area organization that helps single mothers, or baking homemade dog treats to send to the animal shelter.
Let Live Free Home Health Care’s professional, compassionate caregivers help overcome isolation and loneliness for elderly loved ones. We abide by all recommended procedures to safely care for older adults in the home, and love bringing smiles to the faces of those we serve. Reach out to us at 603-217-0149 to learn more about why we’re considered one of the top senior care companies in Concord and the surrounding areas.