You have just found out that Dad will need knee replacement surgery. You have heard a little bit about what this could entail from a friend who has been through it, but are you truly ready to help him prepare for his joint replacement procedure and recuperate safely and fully afterwards?
Millions of people have joint replacement surgery each year. The good news is that while it can be scary to face, the resulting relief from pain and typically quick recovery will soon have your loved one back on their feet.
Getting Ready for a Joint Replacement Procedure
It can feel intimidating to try to absorb all the details the physician will provide ahead of the procedure. The best way to make sure you have all of the essential information is by making a list of questions you want the physician to answer. Even this task can feel stressful, however, but don’t worry – our care team has prepared a list of common questions for you!
Copy any relevant questions from the list below, and then add any others you might have:
- Is it necessary to go to a rehab facility for recovery, or can my loved one recover at home with help?
- When can regular activities be resumed?
- What results can be expected for someone of my parent’s age and with their health problems?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What exercises can be started now to strengthen muscles?
- How long is the typical hospital stay?
- How soon after surgery will my loved one have the ability to shower?
- What type of anesthesia is normally used, and are there options available?
- Are there any preparations that should be made to make the home for a safer recovery?
- What risks are involved with joint replacement surgery?
- What types of medical equipment or supplies will be helpful?
- Are there any medications that should be started or stopped before the procedure?
- Is it useful to practice walking with a walker or cane before the surgery?
- Is it recommended that my loved one lose weight or make any other changes in lifestyle?
- How much pain should be expected following the surgery, and what kinds of pain relief are available?
- What specific instructions are there for the day of the surgery?
Recovering After a Joint Replacement Procedure
Making a strategy now for a loved one’s recovery will make the transition home from the hospital smoother and easier. At Live Free Home Health Care, we are here to help with post-surgical in-home care services that alleviate some of the stress surrounding a hospitalization. For instance, we are able to:
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to and from the hospital
- Assist with transfers and mobility, showers/baths, and other personal care needs to decrease the risk of a fall
- Prepare nutritious meals
- Monitor for changes in condition or medication side effects and report them immediately
- Encourage participation in physician-approved exercises and provide transportation to PT appointments
- Take care of picking up groceries and prescriptions and run any other errands needed
- Provide medication reminders so medications are taken as prescribed
- Offer companionship for conversations and enjoyable pastimes during recovery
- Take care of light housekeeping and laundry
- And much more
You can reach us any time online or at 603-217-0149 for more information about how we can ease a surgical procedure, before, during, and after, for someone you love. Our services are available throughout Bow, Epsom, New Hampton, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Service Area page to see if we are available to assist in your community.