We either love them or avoid them, but no matter what our stance is on New Year’s resolutions, there is something wonderfully energizing about moving into a whole new year, providing us with a clean slate and a chance to make any changes we wish to improve quality of life or to accomplish a new goal or dream.
For family caregivers, resolutions can be especially significant, because they affect not merely the caregivers themselves, but their senior loved ones. It’s essential, however, to keep resolutions practical. Resolving, for instance, to get a full eight hours of sleep nightly, while caring for a loved one who struggles with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, could be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Try instead to take into account one of the following resolutions specifically created with family caregivers in mind:
- I shall reach out for support and help, and take help when offered.
- I give myself permission to say “no” to requests in order to avoid dealing with more than I am able to easily manage.
- I can make my own health (both physical and mental) a top priority, making sure I set up and keep medical checkups and appointments.
- I will remind myself that self-care is not self-centered, and that by taking care of myself, I will take better care of my family member.
- I will observe my levels of energy, and take measures to avoid allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If the thought of accomplishing any of these goals feels too lofty to even take into consideration, we’ve got a remedy! Partner with Live Free Home Health Care for highly trained, in-home respite care on a consistent basis, enabling yourself much-needed time away from fulfilling the care needs of your senior loved one, while knowing he or she will receive numerous benefits as well, including increased socialization through the companionship of a skilled, knowledgeable, and thoughtful caregiver.
Starting with a no-cost in-home consultation, we will listen to the particular requirements and challenges of your loved one, and create an individualized plan of care to fulfill those needs, through an assortment of services such as:
- Help and support with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as shopping and picking up prescription refills
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments and fun outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and preparation, in adherence with any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, and exercise, along with other pastimes that will be of interest to the older adult
- And many more
Get in touch with Live Free Home Health Care by calling 603-217-0149 today. Learn more about our Concord home health care services and the communities we serve and take the first step towards obtaining a unique goal in 2020! For a full list of all of the communities we serve, please visit our Service Area page.
From all of us at Live Free Home Health Care, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!