As part of a national public education movement Live Free Home Health Care encourages quick assessment as the key to reducing the side effects of a stroke. A stroke is the result of interrupted blood flow to an area of the brain and can cause brain damage. How a stroke patient is affected depends on where the stroke occurs in the brain and how much the brain is damaged. Some people recover completely from strokes, but more than 2/3 of survivors will have some type of disability. Abilities impacted usually include speech, movement, and memory.
Symptoms of a stroke include:
- Sudden numbness or weakness of face, an arm, or a leg – especially on one side of the body.
- Confusion or trouble speaking and understanding.
- Trouble seeing from one or both eyes.
- Trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause.
According to the National Stroke Association (NSA), 80% of strokes are preventable through careful attention to these ten steps:
- Check your blood pressure regularly.
- Find out if you have atrial fibrillation (a type of irregular heartbeat.)
- Stop smoking.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Know your cholesterol numbers.
- Control diabetes.
- Eat a lower sodium, lower fat diet.
- Find out if you have circulation problems.
- Be aware of your stroke symptoms.
The National Stroke Association is the leading national non-profit organization devoting all of its efforts and resources to stroke. NSA provides the most up-to-date information on prevention, treatment, rehabilitation, and support for stroke survivors and their families. For more information on NSA contact 1-800-STROKES (1-800-787-6537) or click here to visit the NSA website.
Live Free Home Health Care offers care for individuals who have suffered from a stroke as well as advice and guidance for friends and family who serve as caregivers. If your loved one has suffered a stroke and is in need of care, please call us at 603 217 0149. You can also read more about options to age at home by clicking here.Kindly go to setting page and check the option "Place them manually"