Oftentimes, people take prescriptions at face value without asking vital questions about the medications they are being asked to take. Seniors can maximize time with their doctors by having a go-to list of questions about their current or new prescriptions on hand. If your loved one needs to know more about his or her medications, ask the doctor these questions:
- What is the name of the medication? (Make sure to get a proper spelling, as many medications have similar sounding names and spellings.)
- Why should it be taken or what is it for?
- How often should it be taken and for how long?
- What foods or other medications should be avoided while taking this medication?
- Should this medication be taken with meals?
- What should be done if a dose is missed?
- What are common side effects?
Taking medications the right way helps seniors receive the maximum benefits. Getting answers to these important questions will help you and your loved one have a better understanding of the prescriptions, what they are for, and how to properly take them. Live Free Home Health Care can help older adults in the Central New Hampshire area keep track of medications and set up helpful reminders in order to maintain proper medication adherence. Contact us today at 603-217-0149 to learn more.