When families begin their research into home care options, many assume that Medicare will cover their home care needs. This, however is a common misconception. As we noted in a previous blog post, most people use private funds to pay for home care. However, for veterans and their spouses, there is another possible way to help pay for senior care.
The Veterans’ Aid and Attendance program can help wartime veterans and/or their spouses pay for in-home care services, provided they meet certain qualifications to receive these benefits. For instance, the person applying must:
- Have received an honorable or general discharge
- Have doctor’s orders stating he or she needs the aid and assistance of others daily
- Meet specific financial requirements
- Have served 1 day during an active war and had no less than 90 days of service
- Be the surviving spouse of a veteran to obtain spousal benefits
Veterans can also apply for housebound benefits in order to fund their care services. Housebound is a benefit paid in addition to a monthly pension. A veteran may be eligible for Housebound benefits when:
- The veteran has a single permanent disability that has been evaluated as 100 percent disabling AND, due to such disability, the veteran is permanently and substantially confined to his or her home, OR,
- The veteran has a single permanent disability evaluated as 100 percent disabling AND, another disability, or disabilities, evaluated as 60 percent or more disabling.
Veterans are not allowed to receive both Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits simultaneously, and must be receiving a monthly pension in order to quality for either of these additional benefits.
Wondering if you or a senior loved one qualifies for Veterans’ Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits? The Live Free Home Health Care team is always happy to help you explore all your options for funding the senior care you need. Simply call us at 603-217-0149 or fill out our online contact form and a member of our care team will gladly walk you through all your payment options.Kindly go to setting page and check the option "Place them manually"